AIA Continuing Education CreditHealthy Walls = Rainscreen & Ventilation
Multi-Family Sound Control
- Analyze the way that various wall systems are being detailed and identify potential flaws that can lead to moisture failures.
- Review the benefits and principles behind having an airspace within the wall system.
- Compare the performance of various wall systems using test results for rates of drainage and ventilation in mock-up wall systems.
- Establish the best practices for designing and constructing a well drained and ventilated wall system.
- Outline of Healthy Walls = Rainscreen & Ventilation Program (PDF)
Healthy Roofs = Drainage and Ventilation
- Review how noise results are measured and types of noise in building design.
- Discuss and identify the most common acoustical systems for quiet living in multi-family, and understanding that one component is not the solution in controlling noise.
- Compare the performance of various building materials needed to reach certain classification standards, as well as establish the benefits of living in noise-free environments.
- Establish the best practices for healthy living with the use of an entangled net sound system.
- Outline of Noise Control in Multi-Family Sound Control Program (PDF)
Masonry Cavity Walls, the Original Rainscreen System
- Review research, best practices, and recommendations on the need for continuous ventilation in roofs.
- Analyze the problems from poorly ventilated roofs, as well as establish the benefits of continuous ventilation in roofing assemblies.
- Identify the components of proper roof ventilation.
- Understand roofing details in accordance with the continuous ventilation underlayment in wood and metal roofing assemblies.
- Outline of Healthy Roofs = Drainage and Ventilation Program (PDF)
- Review the benefits and principles behind having an open cavity within a masonry wall.
- Analyze the most common practices in masonry cavity walls detailed with continuous rigid insulation, and identify the potential flaws that can leas to moisture failures.
- Discuss airspace code and compare the performance of traditional mortar collection materials and full wall masonry drainage materials in cavity walls with rigid insulation and less than two inches of airspace.
- Establish the best practices for designing and constructing a continuous insulated, well drained, and ventilated masonry cavity wall.
- Outline of Masonry Cavity Walls, the Original Rainscreen System (PDF)
Solidifying your Foundation - Below Grade Drainage
- Understanding hydrostatic pressure and why it's a danger to building foundations.
- Identify historical, current and future methods to drain a foundation.
- Understanding how drainage affects energy use in a structure.
- Evaluating how drainage systems fit into the design of a structure.
Keene Building Products is a registered provider with The American Institute of Architects Continuing Education Systems. Credit earned upon completion of this program will beback to all news